BEHIND THE BLOG

As writer, teacher, jewelry-maker and everyday woman, I'm fascinated by the ways that clarity and clutter shape creative lives. To me, the question of how much stuff we have is far less important than how much time, freedom and focus we can bring to our creative efforts. Sure, sometimes clutter manifests tangibly, as supplies, possessions, or mementos. But just as often it appears in less physical (but no less powerful) forms: as distractions, drains, obligations, expectations, judgments, and fears that leave us no time or energy to make art or even dream dreams. My first "DeClutter Your Creativity" classes were inspired by my own personal struggle to find the balance of abundance and emptiness needed to fuel my work...and to find it again, and again, and again as my life and work evolve. This blog is another way to dialogue on the subject: written with curiosity, compassion and (sometimes) comedy from the often befuddling place where creativity and clutter meet.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

TIME NINJAS

A friend sent me a link to the site of the Time Ninjas, two British women who explain themselves and their name as follows on their "About" page:

We are the Time Ninjas. Why? Erm. Well, Time creeps up on us and all that, so we thought we could turn the whole stealth thing back onto Time and surprise it. Kind of. But mainly because we liked the sound of it.

I got a kick out of the concept, the name, and the honesty with which they admit the less impressive reason to choose the name, i.e. the sound of it. Not that I, DeCluttered Creative and Working Writer Wonders, can relate to that.

They're currently doing a project that asks folks to pledge a specific amount of time...to themselves. I'm pondering that wise thought.

In the meantime, I browsed their blog and found this opening line in one of their posts: I know that sometimes the absolute best way to use my time is to stop.

A concept with which I wholly and fully agree in principle, but have trouble putting into practice, as all who know me are aware. Hence time can be a ninja that whomps me, rather than me being a time ninja that sneaks up and masters it.

No comments:

Post a Comment