BEHIND THE BLOG

As writer, teacher, jewelry-maker and everyday woman, I'm fascinated by the ways that clarity and clutter shape creative lives. To me, the question of how much stuff we have is far less important than how much time, freedom and focus we can bring to our creative efforts. Sure, sometimes clutter manifests tangibly, as supplies, possessions, or mementos. But just as often it appears in less physical (but no less powerful) forms: as distractions, drains, obligations, expectations, judgments, and fears that leave us no time or energy to make art or even dream dreams. My first "DeClutter Your Creativity" classes were inspired by my own personal struggle to find the balance of abundance and emptiness needed to fuel my work...and to find it again, and again, and again as my life and work evolve. This blog is another way to dialogue on the subject: written with curiosity, compassion and (sometimes) comedy from the often befuddling place where creativity and clutter meet.

Friday, January 7, 2011

CLUTTER UP YOUR CREATIVITY: cravable stuff we TOTALLY don't need



A visit to the Nanda Home website inspired this first in a new category of posts on this blog that will acknowledge stuff that is totally and utterly unnecessary, and yet somehow work celebrating.

I have long craved a Clocky, the alarm clock on wheels that jumps off your nighttable and runs around your room beeping if you hit "snooze" too often. Clocky was invented by Gauri Nanda, apparently in response to her frequent tardiness at her MIT graduate classes. I don't need it as a clock, as I rarely have trouble getting up; instead, it seemed just like an adorable cross between a mechanical toy and a very easy-to-care for pet.

But now, sadly, poor Clocky has been upstaged in my crazy-object wish list by what Nanda calls "Clocky's tech-savvy younger brother," Tocky. Tocky is a little round fellow who not only jumps and rolls around on the floor but also plays both MP3s and your own recorded sounds. I have given you the YouTube video of him here. (It's from the thinkgeek YouTube channel but is the same video you'll see on the official Nanda site.) I must confess that I sometimes go to the Nanda website just to get a smile from the little guy. Yes, I know, that's really pathetic...but then, true love often is.

What are your secret totally unnecessary object cravings?

No comments:

Post a Comment