BEHIND THE BLOG

As writer, teacher, jewelry-maker and everyday woman, I'm fascinated by the ways that clarity and clutter shape creative lives. To me, the question of how much stuff we have is far less important than how much time, freedom and focus we can bring to our creative efforts. Sure, sometimes clutter manifests tangibly, as supplies, possessions, or mementos. But just as often it appears in less physical (but no less powerful) forms: as distractions, drains, obligations, expectations, judgments, and fears that leave us no time or energy to make art or even dream dreams. My first "DeClutter Your Creativity" classes were inspired by my own personal struggle to find the balance of abundance and emptiness needed to fuel my work...and to find it again, and again, and again as my life and work evolve. This blog is another way to dialogue on the subject: written with curiosity, compassion and (sometimes) comedy from the often befuddling place where creativity and clutter meet.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

OUT WITH THE OLD

Some of you who follow my blogs have commented on my rather protracted absence since sometime in October. I found myself going into and through a long period of exploration beginning at about that time. It was a decluttering of sorts, though one which illustrated the precept I repeat most often (and probably most annoyingly) in my decluttered creative classes: that decluttering is not, and never, just about the stuff.

That said, I have indeed released a lot of physical stuff in these last months. I sold six or seven boxes of antiques and a lovely daybed and desk that I had owned and loved for decades, but which no longer really fit my needs. I donated lots of books, linens, and other odds and ends to various good causes. I gave one friend lots of the plants and garden accessories I no longer truly want to care for and another a box of supplies for art forms I don't think I'll ever do. I did a lot of financial housecleaning as well, consolidating accounts and shredding old records and generally making space.

I also changed around most of the main living space of my house. That was a kind of decluttering, too: a releasing of the way I used to live and the spaces I used to like. The house had looked nice aesthetically, at least I thought so, but some of it just wasn't me any more. It ended up being a rather more monumental shifting-about than I had expected--I realized by the end that I had actually moved every major piece of furniture in my living and dining area and a goodly portion of the furnishings elsewhere. I reimagined colors, repurposed spaces, and just generally shook things up. It wasn't an expensive redo; almost everything in the new spaces is something I already owned except for the paint on the walls and some minor accessories, most of which I bought at thrift shops. But the overall style, the effect, and the feeling of the spaces is surprisingly different. I feel much more comfortable within this refreshed nest, and I can already feel how much more suited it is for the year of writing I plan for twenty-eleven.

Finally and most profoundly, I did a lot of inner decluttering as well. I found myself newly ready to look at my schedule, my habits, my business, my priorities, my money, my company...well, pretty much everything. I am not precisely sure where all of this re-exploration will take me, and I'm trying to be okay with that uncertainty. What I do know is that the uncertainty actually feels more authentic than some of last year's certainties and assumptions did, and that feels good. I have a sense of getting closer to that which is most important to me as the new year opens, and a sense of curiousity and excitement that is actually quite fun.

So that's what I've been doing on my autumn vacation. I look forward to connecting with all of you other decluttering creatives again through this blog and the class schedule I'm beginning to craft for the spring. And I wish you a year of decluttering, creativity, and change.

No comments:

Post a Comment