BEHIND THE BLOG

As writer, teacher, jewelry-maker and everyday woman, I'm fascinated by the ways that clarity and clutter shape creative lives. To me, the question of how much stuff we have is far less important than how much time, freedom and focus we can bring to our creative efforts. Sure, sometimes clutter manifests tangibly, as supplies, possessions, or mementos. But just as often it appears in less physical (but no less powerful) forms: as distractions, drains, obligations, expectations, judgments, and fears that leave us no time or energy to make art or even dream dreams. My first "DeClutter Your Creativity" classes were inspired by my own personal struggle to find the balance of abundance and emptiness needed to fuel my work...and to find it again, and again, and again as my life and work evolve. This blog is another way to dialogue on the subject: written with curiosity, compassion and (sometimes) comedy from the often befuddling place where creativity and clutter meet.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

TELL THE TRUTH: don't we all love clutter?

My last few posts have been musing on the invisible phases of creativity, the times when we are consciously or unconsciously doing deep inner work even though we seem quiet or even dormant superficially.

During these fallow off-seasons, we have to do some very hard work.

And the hardest work of all, maybe, is not doing the wrong work.

Because doing some work, any work, can feel very tempting at such times. We're conditioned to be busy 24/7. To be productive. To get things done. To make progress. To move forward. To push on. Not just to "task," to multitask.

The mere fact that these phrases are so familiar speaks to how powerful these impulses are in our culture.

That's why I say that if we tell the truth, we all secretly love clutter. Not physical clutter, but time clutter, work clutter, creativity clutter, social clutter, media clutter. On some level, most of us love filling up our to-do lists, cramming our lives and time full to bursting. We love it because it makes us feel normal. Worthwhile.Needed.  Safe.

Or maybe that's just me. Either way, I see a lot of that kind of that "busywork" as I look back on my life. In my defense, I didn't know it was "filler" at the time. I had lots of "good reasons" for doing it. And I'm proud to say that I did some of it, even lots of it, very well.

But doing the not-quite-right work well doesn't make it any less wrong.

I think it takes an odd kind of courage, in modern America, to refuse the clutter, to wait for clarity or the "real thing," to sit with our own emptiness.

To embrace the space, not give in to the clutter.

To trust that the creative well will fill up again, that the path will appear, that the daffodils will bloom.

I'm not very good at it yet. But I'm trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment