BEHIND THE BLOG

As writer, teacher, jewelry-maker and everyday woman, I'm fascinated by the ways that clarity and clutter shape creative lives. To me, the question of how much stuff we have is far less important than how much time, freedom and focus we can bring to our creative efforts. Sure, sometimes clutter manifests tangibly, as supplies, possessions, or mementos. But just as often it appears in less physical (but no less powerful) forms: as distractions, drains, obligations, expectations, judgments, and fears that leave us no time or energy to make art or even dream dreams. My first "DeClutter Your Creativity" classes were inspired by my own personal struggle to find the balance of abundance and emptiness needed to fuel my work...and to find it again, and again, and again as my life and work evolve. This blog is another way to dialogue on the subject: written with curiosity, compassion and (sometimes) comedy from the often befuddling place where creativity and clutter meet.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

ON THE ROAD IN MY MIND

Those who have shared my DeClutter Your Creativity classes or groups know that I often say that all clutter is mental or emotional, and that it's often an inevitable outgrowth of creativity and curiosity. Here's a funny example, brought to you by the constantly (and erratically?) firing cortex of my brain.

The architectural details of the little rolling house I saw on the Bohemian Hellhole blog and discussed in my previous post reminded me of something. That house  is clearly American (Alice says it's part of the Burning Man Festival), but its shape and details evoked something else.

After a bit of thought I realized that the image I was thinking of was the (fictional) Ural Mountain estate called Varykino, as recreated in David Lean's film of Doctor Zhivago. I loved the houses of that film; in fact, I wrote an essay on them in my memoir Home Life, where I waxed lyrical about the beauty of the Varykino house when Zhivago returns it and finds its interiors muffled in snow and ice. So, being on line already, I had to find an image of that wonderful interior, which I now offer here.

But of course, I am committed to proper respect for copyright, so I then had to figure out who owns the copyright to screen captures/still photos from films. I'm sad to say I don't know. The image shown here is all over the web, but no one seems to credit the original source, or even identify who the copyright holder might be. For what it's worth, the film was made by Warner Brothers.

I did find out, however, that the Varykino scenes were shot in Spain...in the summer.

And then, having written in the draft of this post the phrase "firing neurons," I had to find out if it's actually neurons that fire when we have an idea or association. This search led me to a New Yorker Annals of Science article by Jonah Lehrer ("The Eureka Hunt," July 27, 2008) which guided me to change "neurons" to "cortex" and gave me the following quote, so lovely and so apt: the insight process is an act of cognitive deliberation transformed by accidental, serendipitous connections.

So there you go. From Nevada to Spain, with a detour through imaginary Russia and a dogleg through the idea-generating centers of the human brain, all in twenty-seven deeply enjoyable if totally unproductive minutes.
Clutter...or creativity? Creative...or just plain crazy?

Your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment